Monday, October 12, 2009

You want me to fucking trash your lights?

On his wikipedia article it said that that Anthony Neil Smith is the co-creator/co-editor of an online noir journal. I briefly cruised through some of the stories and obviously in my head immediately went to film noir. I tried to include all the major elements (as outlined by wikipedia): hard-boiled detective protagonist, femme fatale, chiaroscuro lighting technique, etc.

Also it wasn't formally listed as a defining trait of the film noir genre, but I saw that a lot of movies/books that fall under that categorization are based on serial killers/unsolved murders, so I did a little research on early twentieth century events of that nature. "The Gray Man" is one of the aliases of Albert Fish, an American serial killer active in the mid 1920s through the early 1930s (he had others, but they all sounded like B-list horror flicks: e.g. "The Werewolf of Wysteria," "The Brooklyn Vampire," and "The Boogeyman"). If you want to have trouble sleeping tonight, wikipedia that shit. It is seriously fucked up.

A cowboy doodle for Dakota.
















I'm not really sure what's going on with this one but I kind of like it.















And I know I didn't get the likeness quite right (I think the nose is too wide and the mouth is set too far down, but it had to be done after I found this little piece of YouTube genius: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYyo3VvPPAk).

3 comments:

  1. Ok, this is a weird specific comments, but the dude in the bottom left hand corner IS SO CUTE! Also, I love this, your style is perfect for these sort of films. It seems like a real movie poster. How big is it in real life?


    Also PLEASEPLEASEPLEASESENDMETHECOWBOYPICTUREILOVEITSOMUCH. If it is in your sketchbook I will print that shit out. They are so cool, and I love the two dudes. SO HOT! I love the mixture of the simplicity and detail in it.

    I like the girl. She is sexy the way the girl from Phantom of the Opera was sexy. In a way that kinda makes me feel pedo, but since she is not a kid, it's ok.

    I just watched the video, that was so freaking funny. I think your picture would look good on a tshirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god I cannot get over how cute that little red dude is. He is so sexy. He's got that baby face, Orson Welles style. I want to beat him up, rape the shit out of him, and have him friggin love it.

    Dude. He is so cute. Excuse me, I am having a Pygmalion moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow rachael i'm really impressed with the movie poster. somehow your style works so perfectly with it. and i love the red, black, and white thing you've been doing so far. i think that your style of crosshatching is really good for this sort of thing. it gives the allusion of rain or some sort of texture. and the title and tag lines seem real. you should just do this as your job. make movie posters. are those real actors? i don't recognize them!

    i know dakota loves the cowboys but to me they are better than i could do but not as interesting. also they're a doodle. i think the reason i am less into the cowboys is because there's nothing on the right side and the cowboys are not really distinguished from the background because the lines are the same or i dunno. fuck it.

    thats natalie portman right? i like the yellow a lot. its like...egg yolk yellow. it looks really good. i even kindof like the unfinished look. you're just using regular colored pencils right? or is it prismacolor?

    HAHAHA i love the xtian bale rant theme of you post. i love the techno remix. i sing it all the time. and your christian is not bad even if you say you messed up the proportions. i can never understand how you use such big spots of gray on him. i would never have the confidence to use a dark grey marker on one half of his face.

    do you plan out the face first? like plot out where the eyes nose and mouth are going to be? my friend michelle says that's the most important for getting likeness. otherwise you have eyes that look like their eyes, a nose that looks like their nose, mouth that looks like their mouth, but the face doesn't look right.

    also one of my favorite parts of the doodle wall is when i make up aliases when i comment.

    ReplyDelete