Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Matryoshka Dolls

Hey, so I made Russian Nesting dolls.
I ordered some blank ones online, and was so freaking excited and checked my mail every single day, even Sunday, in case of a Russian miracle.

So when I got it at 9 o'clock last night, I sat down and painted a whole set. I think I finished at 1 am. (I have 2 more sets, and these are really fun).

These folks are characters from one of my favorite fairy tales, Snow White and Rose Red. I tell Brayden this story a lot and it is his favorite too. But I like the romantic parts and he likes the violent parts.

The bear is both my brother and my favorite character.





This is the bear. He is so cool. You guys should totally read this story. He's about 3 inches tall.



Snow White. Not to be confused with the other, more famous Snow White, this one only has one dwarf, and her dwarf is an asshole.



Rose Red, my favorite sister.


The Dwarf. He is a dick.



The sack o' treasure.



The story is google-able. I am going to send these to Brayden. But only after I get credit for them in my painting class, and the novelty of opening them and shutting them over and over and over wears off.

7 comments:

  1. i LOVE the bear. i just told you this over the phone but i love the colors you used. the yellows and different browns, some of the colors i don't even notice until later and then i think , wow that's so great.

    snow white and rose red are okay too. jk i like red rose's hair.

    gtg

    ReplyDelete
  2. um. these are fantastic. i am totally ordering a set for myself.

    the bear is for sure my favorite too. and this is gonna sound weird but i think my favorite part about the other dolls is the highlights you did on the girls' hair. probably because it was just such a nice little detail...i'm pretty sure i would not have though to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. what kind of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.p.s. why did you buy them from RUSSIA???? surely you can get them in the US. what was the shipping cost like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA! No, I didn't buy them from Russia, Rachael. They are just called Russian Nesting Dolls. It's like Swedish Meatballs or something.

    I used acrylic paint, buy I think I need to put a glaze of something over it so they don't scratch.

    You should totally get some. It's fun to look at something you made that is not flat, and that you can interact with (in my opinion). I get tired of looking at paper, but that is when I am good at, not crafty stuff, like Ashley.

    Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay for some reason you said "russian miracle" when you were talking about the mail so i thought you had ordered them from russia. also i googled "blank matryoshka dolls" and the first website that came up was based in moscow.

    yeah def tell me when you figure out the glazing thing. as soon as my next paycheck comes in i am buying some nesting dolls and acrylic paint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol i can just see it, rachael ordering the dolls, and painting them. the biggest one is matt damon, second biggest is christian bale, third is leo diCaprio, its just a happy little harem of movie stars.

    ReplyDelete