Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pages 31-33

Woo. So I haven't had as much time to work on these guys for awhile, but that's over now. I have fixed up the script a bit, and laid out the pages until page 40-something. Dude. In a week or two I will be on page 50. That is some fucked up shit right there.



This is one of the pages I much earlier did a test page for. I like the script here. I know you dudes cant read it, but basically Abel is having a really bad attitude about being killed, and Michael (Mr. Fox) is pretty irritated at him.

I painted these kids after we watched The Triumph of the Will in my history class. While, obviously, Nazi propaganda is bad, the art direction was amazingly good (more towards the second half). Like, I kept seeing shots and thinking "If they weren't Nazis, that would make a beautiful painting." I also kept thinking that about the people. The soldiers were so handsome. Also, they kept showing Hitlers Youth, who were these cute little kids. It was terrible.

Also, I had a third boy in the middle of those two, but I didn't like the way he looked, so I got rid of him. (What can I say, this picture is inspired by Nazis).

I was trying to figure out how to draw camels, because (much later) Cain and Abel ride on a camel together.

And this is the what Allison drew in the back of my last sketchbook. I always had to try and hide it when I opened my sketchbook, but it made me laugh so freaking hard every time I saw it.
I always thought "Oh, people will know it's a joke, drawn by someone else." Except, she left no hint that she had done it. In fact, she signed it with MY NAME!

Also, I edited this a little because I don't want to find it used against me in a court of law a couple years in the future.

Alsoalso, I am pretty sure she took these guys as inspiration for this picture.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9IYel3RsSms/SfKDSAWlJRI/AAAAAAAAAcs/Ip7jiIMfLj8/s1600-h/img083.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9IYel3RsSms/SadP95ds4AI/AAAAAAAAAPc/i50iaVYSSGw/s1600-h/img012.jpg

Alsoalsoalso, she knows I am into cowboys and sailors. And Indians. Basically, if the Village people have dressed like it, I am into it.

6 comments:

  1. i kinda like and am kinda grossed out by the way the speech bubbles look like those snot bubbles that they draw coming out of noses in animes to indicate that someone is sleeping.

    also i like it when the fox is getting pissed off. its pretty funny. your comic book is REALLY native american-looking. i used to say indian but now i can't say it without thinking about my roommate padma who is actually indian. its frustrating being more pc.

    i REALLY like the propoganda thing. its so geometrical and smooth and i just love it. it really appeals to my sense of design as well as cleanliness. it reminds me of modern architecture. loooove it.

    and i laughed to see the making out people i drew. its just so silly to see a cowboy making out with a sailor. and that sailor hat is so little. but you were wrong about the drawing i used. i actually looked up a photo of two guys making out. i'm not sure if i got an interracial couple or not, but i definitely drew it while looking at a picture. it was really uncomfortable for me to have that up on my computer screen but i didn't think i could draw it from imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the guy on the right (of the Nazi inspired picture) was Matt Damon...so my initial recognition was "Rachael!" But then I read your description and noticed it was nothing of that sort....

    Love the camel studies by the way. They remind me of all those classic ballerina studies a lot of artists liked to do. But instead of ballerinas, they're camels....I actually like it better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, did you guys know female hyena's have pseudo-penises? Isn't that awesome? They sniff at it and lick at it to recognize each others presence and dominance and such!!! I learned it in my Animal Behavior class!!! So we then had to dissect the question as to why they had such structures. Some pretty cool stuff.

    Sorry to deviate. When I found this out, the first thing that came into my mind was you all!! ahaha! I guess we are all like a bunch of pseudo-penis baring female hyenas. Pretty philosophical huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES ASHLEY!! you have done it! you have defined us!

    we are pseudo-penis baring female hyenas!! i feel so much better now that i know what i am!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. dakota, what happens when you mess up with the inking part? do you go over it with white paint? do you never mess up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. looking at your comic pages makes me wish my comic had animals in it. ad it continues to blow my mind how quickly you are moving through these things. also, i think you have figured out your background technique! they look really good. just enough detail to establish a setting, but not so much that i want to look at it instead of the characters.

    i love the camels. the proportions look pretty much dead on.

    ReplyDelete