Friday, October 9, 2009

RAWR

Hello all,

Yes, I'm still alive. Sorry for not posting for a long time. I think it's been more than 3 month since my last post?! Maybe not...Anyways, I thought it be time for me to post. But I have some unfortunate and random news to throw out there before I begin....

So yesterday, I drove down with a friend to this natural reserve/hunting ground forest area to go hiking/make up for a missed field trip for my "Evolution of Plant Diversity" class. I took my camera with me to document our findings and such...but at the end of the day, my camera didn't make it back with me. He quietly decided to stay behind and become one with nature....so, all that said, I basically want to put it out there that I was planning to put up more art, but because of the lack of a camera (r.i.p dear friend), it will be delayed. Meanwhile, please enjoy this...

So, I know this is the DOODLEwall...but, I really wanted to share some photography stuff I've been doing. I don't really have anywhere else to show these things so I thought why not here. Since the whole point of the Doodlewall is free expression of personal trial, error, and growth (or something along those lines!?), I thought it'd be fine. Let me know if it's not, I'll refrain myself next time. So here goes...























So that's it for the photography. Any tips, comments, suggestions, questions, etc would be greatly appreciated. I plan to post my stuff, like sculptures I did last year that I had to chuck into the trash at the end of the year, and others that I already have pictures for little by little (so I can feel like I'm posting a lot).

But anyways, hope everyone is doing good. Exams not too killing. Papers not too murderous. I heart you all.


4 comments:

  1. i really like the chincilla series. at firs the cage ones are interesting because you make the inside of their cage seem so serene and architectural. and i love the last two pictures of the chincilla itself. when it is coming out and then peeking out with its ears back it is so cute. is it mu or ry? i don't remember which is which.... won't the other be jealous that its pictures are not as famous?

    is the b&w picture of a room with a sleeping person in it, your friend? what did you do to the color? how did you do that? its very cool.

    is the second your room? how come there is no picture of me?

    also, what's the transparent thing on the seaweed? it reminds me of the forest spirit in mononoke when he becomes the night walker. at first i thought you had taken these pictures while diving and i was really jealous but then i remembered that we were at the aquarium that day -_-...

    your notunderwater photography is really great. i know you want to try underwater photography but its very hard to do. I met a photographer in laguna beach who said that he does it but none of his underwater photography sells because he thinks people relate to it less. but i think that if you were doing it you would have a more-than-aesthetic interest in what you are seeing and also he was kindof a tool. you can do it ashley. someday. okay right now i'm listening to "someday" from West Side Story and imagining you scuba diving with a camera and singing this song...

    I just ate a whole box of koala cookies.

    I love the city line one. did you adjust the light for that on the computer?

    I love the TENNIS BAG!! that one is SO professional looking. the lighting is really excellent and the composition and everything. its so cool how you got the ceiling and the cool building in the background but the focus is more on the tennis bag. the lighting is really great tell me how did you do that?

    the big balloon makes me happy because it looks like a giant egg yolk.

    what is the black and white san diego zoo picture of?

    Ashley these are so impressive and even more so because i think you took them (at least the aquarium ones) on a standard digital camera.

    tell me about the lighting please. photoshop? its so interesting.

    ashley
    ashley ashley
    ashley

    i heart you too.

    and thanks for posting i woke up and checked my email and when i saw that you had posted i woke up right away. (do you know how hard that is for me? usually i wake up and am still asleep for at least half an hour even though i am getting dressed and doing things like reading email)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, the colors of the last two KILL ME. I love that turquoise color

    At first I didn't even know what the first pictures were of, but I still loved them. I think Allison described them as "serene." I think that is pretty accurate.

    I love the cage one where he is looking out with his ears down. So cute!

    How did you do the black and white one of the room from above. This colors are odd, and it seems like otherworldly or something. This is going to sound so dumb, but it makes me imagine the Shinigami from Death Note (I forget his name) and what he must have seen when he looked at Lights room. (Cause he was so tall and spooky).

    I ALSO TOTALLY THOUGHT OF PRINCESS MONONOKE ON THE JELLYFISH/THING PHOTO! Crazy!

    Did you edit these on photoshop? What the heck? Those colors on the lizard are crazy, and I love the balloon one.

    And what is the black and white one of under the green leaves? It creeps me out, but I like the mysteriousness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh lord ashley THESE ARE SO BEAUTIFUL. i can't choose a favorite they are all so gorgeous. i really love the second to last and the last ones. it's like you were traipsing through the rainforest somewhere taking pictures of exotic animals. i also love the ones taken in the aquarium.

    this set is really great just because you have so much range in subject matter, composition, and technique (e.g. the one taken using slow shutter speed in the aquarium vs. the close-ups of the chinchillas). i feel like no two of these are alike, but they all hold their own.

    darling, we miss you. visit the doodlewall more often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. another thing, when i look at the pictures of your pets i want to say

    the chinchilla emerges from its abode.
    climbing upwards
    it timidly peeks from its sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete