Thursday, November 19, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOODLEWALL!

The doodlewall is one year old today! Soon he/she will be potty trained and calling us mama.

Awww. (Sorry dudes, my biological clock is fucking going nuts. Every time I see a kid between the ages of 2 and 6 I go nuts and miss the siblings. Perhaps that's not the biological clock, maybe that's just homesickness).

Ok, so I attempted to do the "your dudes style" thing, and guess what.

Rachael, I hate you. Don't you know that this takes forever? My hand was so tired. But it was kind of fun, and I like how it turned out, but it's not as much like your style as I wanted. Something about it is still in my style, but I don't know what it is.

I mixed our style up by still drawing two dudes, but I gave them plausible gay deniability. Sure, they are kinda wearing faggy 30's-ish clothes, but they are not making out. Compromise. And I tried your hatching style I like so much, I think your lines are a little heavier, and you use less pure black... so its what our baby's style will be. When we have one together. Or 10.


These are supposed to be an attempt at Allison's style. It didn't really work so well. Basically it brought me back to the style I used when I used to doodle with Allison instead. These were really fun to do, but not like Allison. I still have to work on her style.

These are some fake blind contours, which I like when Allison does, but these look more like my style.

This is also my style from, like, sophomore year. But I tried to doodle in Allison's style. It's hard. I can't really pin down the difference in the way we draw/doodle. I know there is one, but I don't know what it is. Do you guys?

7 comments:

  1. do you remember the terrorist guy who was shopping that i drew for you that you loved? i think i drew it in chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really dakota? it really takes a long time? BECAUSE I HAVEN'T NOTICED.

    why do you think i'm always commenting on how fast you're going? you crank out literally ten comic pages for every one that i do. it is agonizingly slow work.

    i think you got the hands really right in terms of shading and form and all that. the clothes are a little bit different; i think i layer a little more and get a little tighter with my hatching. i can see it especially in the sleeve of the guy on the left--the hatch marks are spread pretty far apart and the whole jacket is hatched in a pretty uniform style.

    i think the reason why it still looks like your style also has to do with the way you draw faces. it's very distinctive (i'm sure mine is too, i just can't see it).

    also i think you're right about the amount of black you used compared to mine...the hair in particular. i have a lot of fun drawing hair so i usually don't block it in all black like you did here.

    and even though those guys are kind of foofy for my taste, they are still pretty sexy, and you should give me a copy so they can get to know my sexy dudes.

    this was cool...i got a chance to analyze my own style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also i think we should decide on a gender and name for the doodlewall...given that we've taken to celebrating its birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that doesn't look like my style at all. dakota.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison, while I appreciate your insightful input, I already said that. No need to repeat me.

    In any case, it's about a thousand times better then the one you did of my style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah it's hard to draw like Allison, cuz she sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a(shit ton of work to do this week)llisonNovember 24, 2009 at 5:10 PM

    the guys are sexy. but the cross hatching is too neat to be rachael's do you know what i mean? rachael cross-hatches all over the place. it seems like something she would do though...clothes and all.

    ReplyDelete