Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Happy Belated Birthday Doodlewall!!

another t shit i made. this time its from a frank miller drawing in the dark knight returns. wearing this one tomorrow.


where we left off:








love you guys. also a poem we read in class today:

So You Think You Know Scheherazad

So you think you know Scheherazad
So you think she tells you bedtime stories
that will please and soothe,
invents fairy creatures
who will grand you wishes

Scheherazad invents nothing
Scheherazad awakens
the demons under your bed
They were always there
She locks you in with them

And when you struggle to escape from them,
and when you run
to the very end of the corridor, you find
that it leads only to another corridor
and every door you open is a false door
and suddenly you find yourself in a room
within a room within a room within a room
and suddenly you find yourself forced to meet them,
the demons she unleashes,
the terrors that come from
within you and within her
and suddenly Scheherazad is nowhere to be found
but the stories she unlocked go on and on--

This is the power of the telling of a story--
and suddenly you find yourself
swimming through the sea to the Reef of Extremity,
flying to the Valley of All that is Possible,
walking barefoot on a blade
over the Chasm of Flames,
landing in a field where you wrestle with Iblis,

whose form changes into your love
into Death, into knowledge, into God
whose face changes into Scheherazad--

And suddenly you find yourself

The poem is by Mohja Kahf and I like what it says about the nature of stories and the storyteller.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry it took me so long to comment. Ok, so here goes.

    First: The page that used to look a bit meh now looks pretty damn good. The shading really helped a lot.

    I love the way you drew the house in the first two pages especially. And the surreal cave with the houses, and the way the cave is leaning all weird. It's a cool idea, I wouldn't have come up with that.

    I don't know what you mean about the zombies looking lame. I love the design. They are a good mix of creepy zombie and still lovable. I like Rowans design best. Everything, his twisted head, his long body, his hair.

    I can't even begin to explain how much I love the "At least as zombies we can live in peace." panel. In part because the line just blows my mind, and the zombies are looking at each other in this sweet way which is touching yet hilarious. But also, there is a lot of talktalktalk and then a pause in that panel. It's nice, the different timings you create. I need to learn how to do that shit.

    ANOTHER good idea with the house-single-panel page. I really like that. Also, I love the design of the house. The only thing is maybe a little grassy texture in the yard, (try with pencil first, if you do) just to make it look like they aren't living on concrete. I think it's just too much clean white space, and it makes it a little top heavy, but a couple dashes would probably fix it.

    I don't remember some of the details of this dream. The mailbox from Blues Clues? Was that in there? I like it, it's funny, cause it totally is out of nowhere (like dreams tend to be). I don't want to go back and read it yet, cause I am liking the surprises.

    I hope you finish this by Christmas, cause it would be a great gift for Amanda. Have you told her?

    First panel on the last page is so great. Good idea, with the foreground fence. Again, the hands going through the cave. It looks good again, but I have to say, maybe I'm just lesbo but

    the cave looks like a vagina.

    Especially in the 11th and last panel. It's good though. I made boob pomegranates, you made a vagina cave. In the last one you did the light really well, and the shading it good in all of them. And I like that the hands are pure white. And you really created a sense of space.

    I would say, this comic is coming out great. You should make it into a book, like, with some bookbinding shit that neither of us knows how to do. Worry about finishing it first though.

    Do you thumbnail it out first, or make it up as you go? Whatever it is, I like it. I bet you make it up, cause the paneling is so complicated, and I really like it. The only time so far it has got confusing for me is in the third page of this post. I don't know, on the fourth panel, to go right or to go down. The way the panel is placed, it says to go down, but when I read it, it is supposed to go right. So, it's not a big deal cause it's easy to figure out, but that is something to look at.
    I am amazed that is the only confusing part, the crazy way you panel. I freaking love it. I know I've talked about it before. I think I like it because I am a more conservative paneler, and it's fun to see what you crazy kids are doing and getting away with. I don't think it would work well for mine, but it is perfect for this dream comic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like this a lot. i love what you did what the backgrounds, esp. in the cave. the details on the house are awesome. you are super good with architectural/background stuff that i am way too lazy to do.

    the drawings at the end are my favorite and you a really good at rendering contours of hands. the cave still really looks like a vagina.

    you are not allowed to guilt trip me because you did not comment on my last comic thing. well, you did, but it sucked. you should also not lecture me about facebook because i am not running around randomly vandalizing other people's walls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also we discussed how i feel about people bugging me to go on the doodlewall. i guess i'm not really making my point any stronger by responding to your nagging (i told you YESTERDAY that i would get to it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I agree with Rachael. No bitching about commenting, when lately your comics have sucked more then a hooker in a back alley.

    Haha, sorry, had to say that.

    But yeah.

    It's true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In fact, in the comment that you left on my last post, what you did is wrote a sentence, and in it YOU TALKED ABOUT YOURSELF.

    Dude.

    ReplyDelete