Wednesday, November 11, 2009

academic slump or: Allison Gets Comic Serious [feedback requested]

Non sequitur: How cool is this? I feel super professional. (thanks neil!)

Now for business.

So Amanda had this really kick ass dream and she typed it up and emailed it to me. I printed it out, its a page in 1.5 spacing. I am going to draw it. Its funny because i don't feel comfortable drawing any of my dreams (and I have a whole book of them) but i wanted to draw amanda's right away.

Secondly, I actually need opinions please. I know we don't have to comment on every one (i didn't comment on rachael's last one) but i talked to her on the phone about it. So one way or another gimme some somethin somethin.



Okay so here's my problem. When she first goes in the cave i wanted to emphasize how dark and windy the cave tunnels were. But as you can see on page three i didn't shade the cave at all. That's because at this point the whole thing is inside a giant cavern and i don't want to color everything black. Is that a bad choice? does it make it look weird next to the super shaded cave panels on page two? Do the people need more detail?

Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. it just to me, compared with page 2, page 3 looks really lame. and i think thats cuz its not as shaded, also it was harder for me to draw the inside of a huge cave. i feel like i should add detail...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man. ohmanohmanohman. this is so fucking cool. i am so impressed.

    i love the first panel with your drawing of amanda.

    page 3 does look a little scant by comparison, but why wouldn't you go back and add some detail? You did so well on page 2 doing the inside of the cave. i think you're okay putting a lot of darkness in because i'm assuming the characters in the foreground will still be mostly white. also you did a great job layering the hatching in page 2 so that even though it was dark, you could still see all the different rock formations...why couldn't you do that in the third page as well?

    i'm really impressed by your use of the panels. i definitely get a sense of time and space in your narrative because of the choices you make with the page layout.

    also, the creepy severed hand is really well rendered every time. kudos on consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the cave shading on two is really nice, I think. So I'd say just try a bit of that on three, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, agreeing with what has been said already. We talked about this pretty extensively on the phone, but I should say again, I love the panels. They are... and I have never used this expression before... the are far out. Like, so weird. But they make sense. I don't know how you do it.

    Also, I like when you draw your dad. It looks like him, (in part because of his nose). And the first picture of Amanda looks super cool,

    I can't wait to see those zombies.

    Again, my favorite favorite part is when Amanda goes through the cave with her hands out in front of her. Really great.

    ReplyDelete