Thursday, November 12, 2009

10 Dead Princes Part 6: Beheaded plus some comics and fanart

So, here is my 6th dead prince. This boy is beheaded (obviously), and I took the walls from the Queens houses in the Tower of London, where I went to at the height of my love for Anne Boleyn, and the Queens houses are where she stayed before she was beheaded. (Also, I stood where she was beheaded. It was a pretty amazing experience.

In fact, a big part of my dead prince inspiration comes from the Princes in the Tower, who were murdered in the Tower of London. Look at this beautiful painting.
http://tudorhistory.org/people/edward5/princes.jpg
I bought a postcard of that painting when I was 12, and have had it on my wall at home ever since. Kinda pedo, but I was like 12 at the time so it's OK. But I'm thinking of these kids a lot with the dead prince paintings.


This is fanart of Sherlock Holmes.

I love him so bad. I read all those abridged kid books about him when I was little, but never read the real ones. I should get to that.

I just saw "The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes," where they strongly imply that Holmes is a homosexual, and he explicitly states that he and Watson are in a sexual relationship (however, he is lying to get a woman to leave him alone). But when Watson confronts him about it... it was a great scene as only pre-sexual revolution movies can deliver.
Now that everything is accepted and legal and stuff, there is a huge lack of subtlety. It's worth it, but I miss how authors used hints and codes, an undertone of shame, and nothing was explicitly stated. (Like in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, which I can never stop myself from referencing. Sorry).

I love book Watson. He's so cool. Movie Watsons are always dumb, for comedic effect.


Here are the next couple of pages of the comics I am doing for that guy. To be honest, I was not impressed with what he gave me in terms of story. (Horrified, was more like it). But I feel I was able to pull out a skeleton of a story, and build on it.
He wants me to keep working on his other short stories after I'm done with this, but I think I am going to say goodbye to him after we finish this collaboration. I mean, I just dont have the energy to work hard on something I am not passionate about. The reason I can do my own comic is I keep thinking "This is one more page untill they make out. One more page." (Just kidding, kinda).




No, the story is not realistic, so it's OK that there is a patch of grass in between two buildings and stuff, and that there is nobody on the street. It's supposed to be kinda surreal, but it doesn't get really surreal for a couple more pages.

4 comments:

  1. you spelled accepted excepted. i will not comment further until you fix that error. (or until i have more time...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beheaded prince is all gory. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. allison, if i am not allowed to be a douche about spelling/grammar, you are definitely not allowed to be a douche about it.

    1. http://www.lib-art.com/imgpainting/9/9/10399-judith-beheading-holofernes-artemisia-gentileschi.jpg

    2. yeah, i never got where the image of watson as a fat, middle-aged source of comic relief came from. jude law seems like a pretty accurate casting choice based on doyle's original watson.
    but ahhhhhh tiny forearms and hands. cool shadow on the table though.

    3. your style here reminds me so much of faith erin hicks (creator of the "demonology 101" and "ice" webcomics; you should check them out if you haven't. the art is initially not great for "demonology" but it's long, it's complete, and by the time you get to episode five she's got it pretty well figured out stylistically).
    also this sounds kind of weird but i feel like you're spending more time with these pages than you are with your own comic. backgrounds are always fully detailed (they look great). are you getting paid for this?

    also, i have seen patches of grass in random lots between big city buildings. so, not that unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachael:

    1. Yeah, I love that painting. I told Allison about it on the phone once, but I don't think she saw it.

    2. The new Sherlock Holmes movie makes me nervous, but whatevs. Yeah, proportions go out the window for my doodles.
    But it's fun, I haven't really doodled in awhile, no pencils, just drawing while in class or something. I'm starting up doodling again, and while they are not great pictures, it's fun to be totally loose and not care.

    3. I am spending more time on these, there is only 12 pages, so I feel I won't peter off until there is no detail or something. I can't keep it up on a 100 plus page comic. Also, I am getting paid. Alsoalso, Guy Davis is going to see these. I wish I could make them better, but I don't have the patience/skill.

    ReplyDelete