Friday, November 6, 2009

10 Dead Princes Part 3: Disembowelment

Ok, so this is my 3rd dead prince. He has been disemboweled. Basically, I had fun trying to make his organs kind of cute. Also, a more limited color palette so his organs would stand out.

Also, I love in fountains when they have those little boys holding fish and smiling. They have some in my favorite fountain, The Fountain of the Great Lakes. Basically, it's a statue of a bunch of ladies pouring water on each other, and each lady represents a lake. And there are the fish boys on the side. I would look it up if I were you. I love it and read there all the time. Also, Allison, you have been there a couple times, I talk to you there a lot.

This next guy was going to be another dead prince, but I'm not so sure. It just doesn't really fit in with the others, and also, I feel I could do more with drowning then this. But, I had fun doing the wet shirt effect.



These are some sketches from my life drawing class. This man was not as handsome as I drew him, but I accidentally made him look like Tom Selleck from Magnum P.I. and I liked it. He also reminds me of Commissioner Gordon a bit.

My class said these next ones looked like communist propaganda art.

A blind contour of a Bodhisattva, I believe.

This was one of those modified contour things where you couldn't look when you draw but you could in between things.
A dude dressed like Bacchus. He was sexy, but I did not capture that in my picture.

Secretly, I don't love my life drawing class. Six hours is too long to go without sitting down. And I get stressed out and don't make good stuff.

7 comments:

  1. The floating dead guy is pretty awesome. Belongs in some cop novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the color contrast in disembowlment but i dont like how cartoony his guts are. the floating dead guy IS awesome but it doesn't seem like he is wearing a shirt if thats what you were going for.

    mostly i like the life drawing stuff. its so classy with its other colors.

    did i show you the han solo p.i. thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. the last life drawing nude is really warped!

    ReplyDelete
  4. also for the drowned guy, the figure itself is really good but i think you could have thought about location better. the way the water looks is the way water in a tank, in a swimming pool, in a fountain looks. he seems to be in some random puddle. not really a river, not a lake, and the hills around him just seem like a side thought.

    kindof critical, hope thats okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fine, lover. I also thought the back ground was meh for the drowned guy, so that's why I don't want to use him for the dead princes.

    I did the disembowelment picture so I could do the cartoony guts, but it's OK if you don't like the style. Different tastes. I like when cute gets morbid, and that is kind of what I am trying to do with this series, and it seems it is not to your taste to mix them too much.

    I am surprised you like the life drawings. I felt kinda shitty about them. Thanks though.

    Hi Neil! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok i actually love when cute things are morbid, like bloody bear (or gloomy as he is officially called) or happy tree friend style. i can't put a finger on why i don't like the guts. maybe because the whole style of the peice is baby blue, more cartoony than realistic, so what i would've did is probably make the guts have lots of cross hatching and look really dark and shaded and ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, you know, I thought of your bear, and I just don't really think it is the same idea. I mean, I also cant quite put my finger on it, but I feel it's different.

    I mean, one thing I am thing I kind of feeling when I do these is a fondness of childhood and romanticizing childhood innocence and stuff, which is something I have been thinking about a lot in the past year or so. But I don't think I could ever go back to that innocent ideal, because my mind is spoiled by horrible thoughts. I find that a little depressing.
    But I'm also thinking back and thinking about how I wasn't really as innocent as I romanticize myself. I remember in kindergarten with my friend Alex, talking about the breast size of girls we say. I must have been 6. (God, that is weird).
    So I am trying to mix some of my idealizations of the innocence of childhood and the fact that I am really not a good person. So there is violence and sexual undertones but portrayed in a lighthearted way. So basically, the bright colors and stuff is intentional.

    Of course, when I am making it I don't put that much thought into it. It's mostly subconscious. Also, I am having a fun time thinking of ways they die, and stuff like that. Idea wise, I am pretty happy with how these are coming out. The problems I am having with them are specific, like, "Oh, that shadow is weird." or something. But style wise, the things I am doing are intentional.

    ReplyDelete