Friday, September 25, 2009

oh so i actually do i have doodles...




This is what I did with the stencil for the t-shirt after i was done spraying over it. basically, i had used newspaper to cover up the sides of the shirt so when i peeled off the shelf paper i just stuck it onto the newspaper and it looked really cool because of the three layer effect of the black spray paint, shelf paper, and newspaper. total accident that i am totally happy with.
The door of no return: explained below.


Yeah i guess i kinda forgot about these doodles. lately we've been posting like, REAL art. so here are some doodles, you know, to balance it out.


Remember that song? from art lab? the infuriating one by the kaiser chiefs?



The doorway on top of this following doodle is called the door of no return by black diaspora tourists. who basically are people of african heritage that through the slave trade or other means were removed from africa, and they go 'back to their roots'. Its a form of tourism. The door of no return is on an island in senegal and belongs to a building that used to hold mass numbers of slaves. I put a picture of it above. this door was where the slaves would go out of and never be seen again, hence the door of no return. They were probably being sold. Beyond the doorway is just water so most likely a boat would pull right up to the doorway to pick up the slaves.


Oh yeah and the penguin.

This next one is of a girl in my french class. Her nose isn't really that big, i just drew it first and then drew the rest of her face real small.
Blind contour

This is a doodle from my intro to scottish lit class. its lord randall who was fed eel and serpent stew by his faerie lover. she poisoned him and he dies.

This one really freaked out laura but i kinda like it.




So my french teacher earlier this year asked me straight up in class: do you like comic books? Yes, I said. I LOVE comic books he said. it was weird and random and it made me wonder if comic lovers can recognize each other. I was drawing this (its a couch potato, get it?) in class and in the middle of class he goes, This is really neat. I like it, very good. and i was definitely...like...i didn't know what to say. esp because i feel like when one is drawing its pretty obvious that they're not paying attention in class. anyways so i stuttered and he said, no i really mean it. and so yeah. i have a fan.


So the real reason i posted all those doodles is so i could have a legit reason to post and show you guys these following pictures. They're taken from the Johnson Art Museum which is right in central campus. it was designed by I.M.Pei and is amazing. When i'm in it i touch the walls and imagine that i am howard roark touching granite.



4 comments:

  1. these are really good, allison. i love the "ruby" one, but i couldn't tell you why.

    the one based on the scottish legend is good, too. the proportions on the man are pretty spot on. his upper arm is a little short but everything else looks great.

    and i like the one that freaked laura out too. very m.c. escher.

    one thing i would love to see is a little variation with your lines. you've gotten to a point where your contours are really consistent, so maybe you want to think about playing around with line quality? i see it a little bit in your drawing of the doorway and the couch potato doodle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey rachael thanks a lot for that comment and i'm not trying to be annoying or anything, but what's line quality? like pressing harder or softer with the pen? or are you talking about gradiation or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. since you have such an aversion to shading i was referring more to the former. my aunt said this to me one time and it's basically stuck with me forever: nothing in the real world is JUST a line. i will send you what i think are good examples via facebook because i can't upload images into a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, first off I am in love with the Ribbons of War thing. So cool.

    The RubyRubyRuby is so weird. I like the face, and how he gets more and more into it. I hate that song, but the picture makes me feel like I should like it. I don't think that is what you intended.

    Also weird, you drew pretty sexy profiles in the armpit picture. What the fuck.

    The next one is creepy in two different ways. Slavery/Door of no return=Real Creepy, the other one is like Tim Burton/Gothic creepy. He looks like the Penguin, if the Penguin was a gay wizard.

    I like the way you do hair. I first noticed on your old Tadzio picture, and sometimes I steal what you did. You don't always use it, but when you do I like it.

    You are better at blind contours then me.

    I really like the pot ad sick dude one. I don't know why, but it seems sexual to me. What is the story behind that?

    Ok, the arms out of mouth also seemed sexual, but fore more obvious reasons. It took me a minute to figure out they were arms. It kinda creeps me out that they are all grabbing eachother.

    I think the potato is my favorite (if not that, its the cauldron and dude). I mean, Couch Potato is bad, but this one is kind of sexy. Like the way the green M&M is supposed to be but isn't.

    Also where you live is so beautiful fuck you. Im going to look up more architecture stuff. I am getting more into architecture, but I don't really know anyone yet.

    ReplyDelete