Saturday, February 20, 2010

Like 30 seconds of animation! That took all week...

What's up you homos?

So I did these animations for my experimental animation class. I am learning voice sync for my sound and image class, but that probably wont be ready for a week or so. It's taking forever, but is really fun.

I just did this one on thursday, and it only took about an hour. It's my first time doing sand animation. Basically you take sand, put it on a glass sheet, light it from below, and animate with the sand. I thought that sounded totally stupid. But then it turned out it was a great tool for making rough silhouettes, which is something I struggle to do with drawing. So this was pretty awesome. Some of the movement is rough, cause I couldn't really plan it out beforehand, but I am still pretty happy with how it came out. And, as always, bears scare the shit out of/fascinate me. Maybe the rabbit symbolizes me. (It doesn't. I just enjoy animating animals).

This one is much more what I am comfortable with. Basically it's drawn animation, except I water colored the middle. It messed up the paper to make a haloing effect, but I kind of like it. This is the character for my upcoming longer film. except I have to make him more foxy, (shorter legs, bigger ears).





This was my second cover submission for Adams CD, Bedlam. Also turned down. I like it, but I totally get why. It puts some biblical baggage that is not in the CD, on the cover. His CD just makes me think of water. Possibly cause one of the songs, my favorite on the album, is called Sepulcher, and that makes me think of the poem Anabelle Lee, cause that is where I learned that word. Also, there are mentions of water in some of his songs.



This is the traditional redo for his cover. I don't know if it's been OK'd or not yet.

This is a coloring page for Brayden's birthday. It's from the story I tell him that he always liked, Snow White and Rose Red. He also likes when I tell him the Pied Piper, Tam Lin and oddly, a super shortened and much more PG rated version of the Illiad, where people get captured instead of dieing. He freaking loves that story. But I couldn't illustrate it, cause it's all fighting scenes.

More Fashion ladies. I love this chicks hair so much. I make it more pompadourish than it really is.


For these next ones, I got a new Moleskine Notebook, since it has always been my dream to fill one, and I never have. They just seem so artsy. Since my current sketchbook has only 13 more pages left, and it's mostly used for the comic. I thought this could be my doodle book, that is smaller and easier to take around.

The girl and the fox, from mah movie.

Watched Death in Venice, and jizzed the whole movie. I think the movie was 99% as good as the book. It was so beautiful. Oh Tadzio.

More of Tadzio and the other boy.

Oh man this happened in the movie it was adorable. But even more adorable was the reaction of the man, Gustav, watching them. He just smiled so sweetly, and kind of embarrassed. He looked how I feel when I see something adorable.


Another Tadzio. There might be more. Because I want a Tadzio so bad. Because Tadzio is not just Gustav von Aschenbach's pervy obsession. It's more spiritual then that. He is his muse.

I need a muse. Besides the vague idea of beautiful people.


[EDIT: Sunday]

More Tadzio and Death in Venice. I can't stop.

Tadzio, in his sailor suit. Ah man, I am a sucker for these.


More of these bathing suits I can't get enough of. I like the colors on this. They came out accidentally nice. Also, I am starting to appreciate horizontal compositions, which is good, since that's how film is. Usually I prefer vertical.

A drawing of Gustav. I imagined him really old in the book, but in the movie they made him surprisingly handsome (not like the drawing). He has an older man thing goin' on.

Also, mustaches don't bother me anymore. Sometimes I quite like them.

Moleskine's are so tits. I think I just like the idea of the notebook. It looks so pretentious, with the built in bookmark, and the band to hold it shut, as if there is so much great art in there, I have to physically restrain it.
I also like the yellow tinge to the paper. Niiice.

2 comments:

  1. moleskin=you are a huge douchey hipster. every gross pretentious reedie takes notes in moleskins instead of regular notebooks. i have developed such a deep hatred for them.

    wowowowow i love the animations. i know this isn't the first animation that you've shown us but i loooove these. you are making pictures move! it's fucking crazy. and i agree, i actually really like the halo on the fox.

    haha i like the doodle of the fox and the girl; the silhouette has a lot of personality. it's like a dumb happy dog (i.e. juneau).

    i know you have a lot of girly men in here but i can't talk about them. it is so far out of my wheel house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. moleskin? really? those things are so pretentious because they are expensive and everyone only is willing to pay that much for them because its 'the notebook of hemmingway and a bunch of other famous guys' guess what? if you got a normal notebook there's no difference. okay i'm not attacking you. mostly i'm mad because moleskins are so expensive and i want one but am not willing to pay that much for one.

    Sand animation is awesome!!! i love how the positive and negative space changes!!! and the animation of the fox jumping drives me crazy. i watched it three times and showed it to maxwell (friend, whose name is not actually maxwell but max but it turns out that his birth certificate name is donald but he told everyone to call him max because he doesn't want to be associated with the duck) i love the texture of the paper and how it changes and how for a brief second there's a splash of paint in the upper part of the page. you're getting really good. it looks smooth.

    the biblical album cover looks really sweet. i actually like it better than the one adam picked, (as art, i don't know what it has to do with his music and whatnot) i just really like the cut out design and the horse rearing out of the water. i like the papers you used and the colors. i love it. i would buy it. the album cover that he actually chose has good texture in the sky and in the water but i still don't like the cityline and the its reflection and the fire in it. its kind of cheesy in my opinion. wouldn't buy it.

    love your illustrations as always, they're so enchanting. it has exactly the type of pretty and fantasy mix that i imagine.

    i notice that fashion illustration (basically what i see in the nordstroms magazine that gets delivered to my house once a month or so) has weird proportions in the people. i find it interesting. sometimes i like it and sometimes i don't.

    like the girl with the fox, maintain that she looks coquettish.

    the sailor stuff is pretty homo but adorable. i like all of them except tazio's profile in the close up of face one is weird, his nose bump area is weird, also his eyes in the one of just him in the sailor outfit are weird but good hair.the hand is huge though.

    i like his expression in the last one but his head is small. these are all really stupid things to nitpick at you and stuff that i would get wrong all the time. i guess now that you're getting better its the only criticism i have...

    not fair.

    love, allison

    also, rachael, what's a wheel house?

    ReplyDelete