Monday, September 27, 2010

Some comics and Sidekicks

Hey, I think I am going to post more often, with less stuff, instead of those big art dumps. So, it's not really a big deal for me that you leave a thoughtful comment or whatever, don't stress. It just makes me happy that you see my stuff.




I was thinking about Oscar Wilde (a not uncommon occurrence) and was thinking how great it would be if Holmes and Watson could have gotten him off. Then I realized NO! While the trial and conviction were a tragedy, it would be just a different tragedy if he was victorious in proving he wasn't homosexual. I think his downfall really set things for GLBT people in motion, and was very important and probably did some good in the bigger picture. So this was me working out my ideas on the matter.

This was pretty fun to draw, I just did it kind of steam of consciousness, but I knew where I was going with it. I mean, I have been thinking about the Wilde Trial for almost 7 years.

Also, this got popular on deviantart, like, RAPIDLY. Faster then anything I've done. Within a day I think it got 100 favorites. And now it's at 127. My most popular piece was the Batwoman/Renee Montoya picture with like 150 favorites, and that accumulated over months. It actually kind of freaked me out, and made me think of taking my deviantart off the internet, but then I realized that, in the big picture, it wasn't really a bid deal, and good things are comic out of it, like artists I have admired for a long time are adding ME to THEIR watch lists, and that's pretty damn cool.


OK, this is pretty specific to the fandom it's for. I have been watching the BBC show, Sherlock, where they modernize Sherlock Holmes, and OH MY GOD. I love it so much.

But a bog thing that fans talk about is John Watsons fashion. His signature mustache is gone, and he always wears these ridiculously dorky sweaters, but they are so adorable. And Sherlock is a kind of cold bastard, but has not personal space (kind of like the cannon).

It's an OK show overall, with some major flaws, but there are certain details that just hit me right in the heart, and it makes me want to draw.



Another BBC Sherlock thing. One thing I really like about the show is the way the main actors look. Like, they are SUPER WEIRD LOOKING. I started watching it, and though "God, I am so not attracted to these actors, who cast this?" And by the end of the episode, my heart totally freaking flipped everytime Sherlock came on screen, and tenderness filled my heart every time John came on.
I mean, Sherlock has this WEIRD face, with a freaky profile, and super wide eyes, and long area from the bottom of his nose and top of his lip, and really intense cheekbones. I totally understand what Rachael was saying about freaky looking people. I love trying to solve how to put his face together. I didn't like it at first, and now I think, when he is moving on screen, that he is about the dreamiest thing in the world.


So I want to do some simple Pin Ups of sidekicks, since they are CONSISTENTLY my favorite. So I did these two tonight. First is Robin, and I seriously love drawing a super femmy Dick (haha) with his curvy legs and stuff. Also, I was using non-black lineart and more muted flat colors. Just trying to simplify.




Abe Sapien, and for some reason I really wanted to draw him in this old timey outfit. I think this is the kind of thing he wore before he became a amphibian, like when he was human. And I always thought of him as a gentleman. It's weird, but I kind of have a total crush on Abe, even more then Hellboy and Liz. I mixed the movie and comic design a bit for this. I think I'll change the background to a more simple dark blue, just to keep it simple, and fit with the Robin and future pin ups.

I am very excited for the Watson one.

Other possible sidekicks, Spock, Ron Weasly, Tonto, Bucky, Jimmy Olsen (good idea Allison!) and possibly Inigo Montoya.

1 comment:

  1. i'm home sick. which is why i have time to comment on all these.

    i made robin my desktop background. i love the colors the best. they're so rusty-feeling. plus his pose.

    don't love abe. he looks like lex luthor and abe sapien's demon spawn. not that harsh...

    lovelovelove both the holmes comics. not as much the single peice.

    yours stuffily,

    allison

    ReplyDelete