Monday, February 28, 2011

OilsOilsOilsOils

Hey guys, wanted to share the paintings I've made for my class so far.

This is the first one we did. It's a still life using only black, white, and gray.


Another still life. This one we got to choose the objects. I decided to make it hard for myself by picking a book (the bible), watermelon, quarters, my wallet wrapped in tinfoil, all over a mirror.


The assignment on this one was to fill each square with a different color, texture, etc. so that none of them looked the same. It was more of an exercise in color mixing, but turned out cool regardless.


This one's painted on a gesso-ed wooden board. The assigment was to paint something entirely using a palette knife. I painted from a spot in the Bard cemetery. It took much time and frustration, but I think it turned out well.


This one I made just for fun. It's of space.

-Adam

1 comment:

  1. The first one brings me right back to art class in high school. I think the glass looks nice, but I always wonder why teachers make such boring still-lifes when they could be fun, like the one McMahon set up.

    The second one is way more fun. The mirror is a fun idea, and the quarters look really cool to me for some reason.

    The third one makes me think of your color choices again. They are such Adam colors. So many olive greens and browns and warm colors. There is a bit of blue, towards the end, and most of the blues are quite dull. I really like it, especially the way it is totally different from my color schemes, which all tend to be dull blue and greyish brown, and very little green and little red and no purple. But you have a lot of red in your greens and your purples and it's so warm. Really interesting and I like it.

    The cemetary reminds me of Van Gogh's haystacks, possibly because I recently saw it. The rough brush strokes and the blue snow shadows next to duller gray shadows is interesting. I just really like the colors of this one.

    I LOVE the last one. It really looks like it's moving. The colored shapes make me think of both solar systems, but also of space ships. The red one is some sort of war ship, and this is super dorky, but the blue one makes me think of the show Doctor Who, and it is the Tardis (a spaceship/time machine) whipping through space.

    It just really looks like it's moving. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete