Friday, March 19, 2010

dead not sleeping

[edit] just in response to rachael's comment about detail, for some reason lately i've been really into lines and texture-y things as can be evidenced by this french class doodle.  theraputic. agreed.

Hey guys its me. I know i haven't posted in a while but here goes.  I've been really busy and as today is the day before spring break i am done and can post. so here are some of my more completed doodles.

A mother:


"no i was not there, on the church stair!"

from the cover of the Bhagavadgita

kind of klimpt-y i don't like it that much but its completed looking

skinny cowboy legs

including this for the hands. i think they look pretty okay. not too rusty

frank miller style?

Roro Mendut is a legend from Java and a movie about it


Also, dakota was afraid that i stopped drawing, so here is a pile of the doodles that i have that i am not posting due to them being crappy


Love y'all and i am going on spring break! i'll be in kentucky!!

also the 'dead not sleeping' thing is from dr. horrible's sing along blog. just fyi.

also lance mackey made history this week by being the only person to win the iditarod four times in a row. he's a cancer survivor too. he's wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Allison! I love them! Let me go in order.

    I love the first one cause I love the stark black against the pattern. It's something I try to, and I really like the way it looks.

    The Beirut one... this is the only one I don't like. I actually super like the picture, but it's cause of the way I imagine the song. I think you imagine that he was there. I like to imagine that he wasn't, and the way he sings is very visual and specific, (ie "the wing in my hair") which makes me want to illustrate it. I have thought about illustrating it many times. But he denies me that, by giving me this vivid image and saying "this image does not exist." I love the tension. It renders me powerless. It's something words can describe that images can't and shows me the limits of my medium.

    So seeing it illustrated doesn't go with my philosophy.

    So much love for the indian one. The details are awesome. I always like those black and white details that are kinda Beardsley in style.

    I like the Klimt one too. The detail obviously, but I also like her face. It's pretty, wish her big features like her nose/eyebrows.

    Love the cowboy, and the skinny legs. I kinda want to animate him. Long legs are useful. Also, I like that Jamie Hewlitish style. And his hat and everything is so floppy. He is so cas. Like "Is that a gun. Hmm." Also, like the drag queen next to him. And the anime/realistic hybrid. Looks nice.

    The hands are actually super impressive. Like, they are super 3Dish. Love the way they are posed. I just love them. The two bottom ones are my favorite, cause of the fingers overlap, and they look like mudras. I would love to see those chubby hands on a chubby Krishna kid.

    Like the Miller lady, and would do the Roro lady. Roro's hair is great.

    I am so glad you are drawing. You win big time.

    P.S. Choked up when I saw the youtube video of Lance Mackey. "You can tell my what I shouldn't do, but don't tell me what I can't do!" My fists were clenched. He was cool. After watching that I went online to choose my dogs for the imaginary iditarod I am going on. I want a mix of Alaskan Malamutes, Huskies, and hybrids of the two, and hybrids of them with other stuff, like German Shepards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what's weird? I think your style is starting to look a little like Dakota's (the fourth one down especially).

    Dude. You are rocking it. I was especially impressed by the hand contours (I am seriously questioning whether I could do as good a job at this point). I love all of the faces you drew here, too. They are very realistic compared to the stuff you have done in the past.

    you've got a great combination of body parts as well as full body drawings. One of my biggest problems is a tendency to only draw busts or faces; it's really good that you're covering all your bases here. Keep it up.

    I'm kind of shocked you did the Klimt-esque one; that's an awful lot of detail I wouldn't have thought you were willing to do (but see what I mean about those really detailed patterns being so therapeutic?).

    FINISH YOUR AMANDA COMIC.

    ReplyDelete